Bord na Móna Powergen
8th Sept 2020
Re: Proposed Ballivor Wind Farm
Dear Public Participation Network Member Group,
The purpose of this communication is to provide you with an update on the proposed Ballivor Wind Farm. Following on from public consultation events held in Ballivor, Delvin and Raharney in March 2020, we have progressed the project design and produced a draft wind turbine layout (see enclosed map).
We are now seeking to consult with the local community on this draft layout. The attached draft layout consists of the following:
• 26 wind turbines with an overall blade tip height of up to 200 metres above ground level. Within this size envelope, various configurations of hub height, rotor diameter, and tip height may be used. Should the project be consented the exact make and model of the turbine will be dictated by a competitive tender process, but it will not exceed a maximum tip height of 200 metres above ground level.
• A substation to facilitate access to the National Grid for the proposed development (see enclosed layout map for proposed location).
• Due to a combination of constraints, the distance to the nearest house from a turbine on the proposed layout is 800 metres. The “Draft Revised Wind Energy Development Guidelines” published in December 2019 states that “A visual amenity setback of four times the turbine height between a wind turbine and the nearest residential property, subject to a mandatory minimum distance of 500 metres” should apply to wind energy developments. The setback distance on this proposed layout is 4 times turbine height setback (800 metres).
In order to ensure the safety of both staff and members of the public due to Covid-19, Bord na Móna will be holding Community Engagement Clinics in September in the locality. In advance of these clinics please find enclosed the following:
1. Project Information Brochure
2. An A2 double sided map - outlining the draft layout for the proposed development;
3. A feedback sheet - should you wish to submit any comments on the draft layout
To ensure social distancing measures are adhered to, these clinics will be held by appointment only and will be restricted to up to three people per household at any one time. If you would like to find out more about the Clinics and avail of an appointment, please contact 087-9460284.
Bord na Móna will ensure that all social distancing requirements and Government health guidelines are adhered to at these clinics. If you are unable to attend, the project team can also facilitate meetings outside of these sessions and the draft layout can also be viewed on the project website at www.ballivorwindfarm.ie.
A copy of this letter is being circulated to all homes within a 1.5km radius of the boundary of the proposed wind farm site. A copy will also be circulated to Westmeath and Meath Public Participation Network for distribution to Community Groups in the vicinity of the proposed development to inform them of the proposed project.
Alternatively, you can write to Ballivor Wind Farm, Bord na Móna Powergen, Main Street, Newbridge, Co. Kildare.
Ballivor Wind Farm Communications Team